Sunday, April 28, 2019

Kitchen Shaker

Hello! Alison here. Today I have a new shaker card to share, but this one is very special. My husband and I are redoing our kitchen. It's a major job that we are doing ourselves, but we are so excited about it. We ordered cabinets through a home improvement store, and when you do that, you need to actually sit down with a "Kitchen Designer" to get everything ordered correctly. We knew what we were getting, so it was really just a matter of the woman helping us plugging in the dimensions and item numbers. But she was wonderful to work with, and was really helpful with some of the questions I had. I decided to make her a thank you card. But not just any card. And not just any shaker card, either. I decided to create a kitchen that looked pretty close to what ours will look like. Take a look.
My staring point was the new Springtime Sparkle Blend from Doodles Paper Playground. The colors were pretty close to what I'll be using in my kitchen. And of course, I was very inspired by the Baked with Love and Sprinkled with Joy stamp sets from Lawn Fawn. They are the perfect combination of images to make an adorable kitchen. I started off by stamping an coloring more images than I would use, but I wasn't sure which I was going to need, so it was better to have too many and save them for another card down the road. I colored everything with Zig Clean Color Markers.
My oven was a major focus because that was going to be my shaker. Plus, I am super excited about the appliances I'll be getting. We've decided on Cafe Appliances from GE in Matte White, and I colored this oven to look as close as possible to the real thing. It's not exact, but it's a good representation. Look at those beautiful colors in the Springtime Sparkle Blend! The pinks and turquoises are so beautiful, and i love the touches of green and yellow.
Making the cabinets on this card was very intimidating for me. I'm not one for precise measurements and straight lines. I prefer organic edges, bumps and curves, etc. But, I took a few deep breaths, grabbed my ruler and T-Square, and created a kitchen. Once the cabinets and counter tops were "installed," I drew in handles with a Spectrum Noir Metallic marker in Antique Bronze. Then, I started to decorate. I chose my elements and began playing with placement. I cut a line in the bowl so that I could sit my eggs and spoon inside of it. I made sure the prettiest cupcake was placed carefully on the stand.
I also added a sign using an older sentiment stamp from Stampendous. It was the finishing touch on this special card. I love how it came out, and I am proud of myself for really jumping in to a style that makes me uncomfortable. I made sure to write down all of my measurements in case I decide to replicate this card for my husband as a "job well done" card.
As fun as this card is, the shaker is really the "icing on the cake." See what I did there? The card would be cute without it, but otherwise pretty static. The Springtime Sparkle Blend really brings it to life! To see this and all of the other available Sparkle Blends, please head over to White Rose Crafts LLC. I'd love to know what kind of card or other project intimidates you. Did you take the plunge and give it a try? Did it turn out better than you expected? I'm glad I tried this, and I love how it looks. Thanks so much for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

1 comment: